Artists Covering Other Artists

7/5/13

It's that time of the week again, where I round up my music recommendations!  Out of all of the things that I think about posting, my music ones are easily my favorite ones to do.

This week, I'm going to share a few of my favorite covers by other artists.  

Paramore has been one of my favorite bands since I first saw them sing their acoustic version of "Misery Business" on MTV.  I might have been in like middle school at the time, so it's been awhile.  I also love Kings of Leon, so when you mix Paramore+"Use Somebody" you get GREATNESS.  Hayley just has one of those silky smooth voices that can pretty much do any song justice and I think this is definitely one of those songs!
Source: www.last.fm
 +
Source: www.rockwerchter.be

Okay, now Ed Sheeran.  His voice is amazing and his music is unbelievable.  So, when I found out that he wrote "Little Things" that is usually sung by One Direction, it made me love this song even more.  Better yet, he wrote this song, alongside his friend Fiona Bevan, at the youthful age of 17!  So here's a cover-of-a-cover of song that he actually wrote.  (Jump to 1:43!)...Coincidence...? I think not!
                                                       

Source: www.last.fm
+
Source: www.last.fm
When I was in middle school, there were two bands that I dubbed my favorites throughout my entire middle school career.  Those two bands were Paramore and Meg & Dia.  They totally fit my misunderstood and slightly angry and somewhat strange and all-around everything I wanted to be teenage image.  One day when I was looking up live versions of Meg & Dia's "Masterpiece," I came across a gem within a gem!  Once they reached the end of the bridge, they started to play that famous guitar riff that leads into the Sublime classic--"Santeria."


  
Source: www.last.fm
 +
Source: www.last.fm
If you've never heard of Meg & Dia before and are wondering why one of the girls looks familiar, then you've probably seen Dia during the first season of "The Voice."  But, if you have seen/heard of them before, then you can only imagine my bewilderment when I saw her get up on stage at "The Voice" and sing "Bubbly" and then go on to say that she writes children's books....WHAT!?

Speaking of Meg & Dia and "The Voice" and Dia singing "Bubbly," if you haven't heard of Colbie Caillat, I suggest you do a quickie research.  Back in the Myspace days, Colbie Caillat was one of those artists that got their start by hosting their own music page.  "The Little Things" was probably the song on my page more times than any.  In this next video, she and the gorgeously-talented Justin Young cover The Script's "Breakeven" and a little bit of Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car."


Source: www.starpulse.com
 +
Source: www.last.fm
Okay, I always try to keep these short, but seem to fail EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.  I wanted to make this last one really good and it was between three different ones.  But I have a big soft spot for this particular cover.  City and Colour.  Oh.  My.  Goodness.  If Dallas Green's trance-like voice and spot-on playing doesn't make you swoon...then, I don't know what will!  If I were Quinn James and had a boyfriend like Clay Evans who got me a private City and Colour concert for Valentine's Day... I would be the girl who would settle down and raise a child with him on. the. spot.  (And for those who got my "One Tree Hill" reference, I applaud you.)




Source: www.altpress.com
+
Source: first-avenue.com

And, of course...In honor of the newly released "Despicable Me 2," here's my last recommendation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKPnp_7gqNk


 photo signature2_zpsf53babb2.png
Copyright © All Things Cass
Design by Fearne