Tumblr Madness

3/2/17


In all shapes and forms, I believe I am a writer. I'll never claim to be the greatest, but writing has always been my outlet. Sure, running and putting 100% in a workout does wonders as stress and anger relievers.
But what about emotional relief?
Life would be nothing if it didn't hit you with trials and tragedies (but don't forget the successes and happy moments!). 
I think Tumblr helps with emotional stress, it's an entire platform that serves as different purposes for people. There are several blogs I follow that inspire me through fashion, faith, music, love & loss and writing.
Words N Quotes is definitely one of my favorites, giving me my daily dose of book quotes, TV quotes and even quotes from other people through their other blog "WNQ-Writers." 
Every so often they'll post a prompt and encourage writers to submit their pieces and have a chance for them to be posted on the blog! 

So one summer night they posted this:

I'll admit, at that time, I could totally relate. I'd been going through a breakup and was completely down in the dumps. Like, the dumpiest of dumps. To put you in a bit of perspective, think Tom Hansen from "500 Days of Summer.".....But the plate-breaking scene.
It sucks, breakups will always suck. And they might get messy and things will not be pretty.
But it's all about how you rise above it. The things you learn, the endless amounts of advice to follow or not follow ("Do you, girl" "You deserve better" "It was for the best"), and the strength you pick up everyday to get through it.

It's about bringing yourself back to life, even when you felt dead.

I had been writing about how I was feeling for weeks trailing the breakup, and when I saw the prompt--I knew I had to submit something.
I figured they see a bunch of submissions everyday, so I wasn't sure if it would even get picked up. But lo and behold, it did. To my complete surprise, I was getting so much feedback on it. It was incredibly humbling seeing messages from others all over the world who found my submission comforting. As a writer, it means everything knowing that you made a reader "feel."


I look back at this piece now, in a completely different place and I think, "Dang, I was so dramatic." And yeah, it be like that sometimes. And honestly, I don't even like reading this because it's heartbreaking to remember I let myself get to that point.
But I'll never forget the feeling I had while writing it. A mix of exhilaration, relief and pure bliss. I was bleeding at the fingertips with words and images and my heart was speaking, loud- something I felt was not possible at the time.
This relationship and months long of therapy writing sessions taught me about resilience and things about myself no one can take away.
My worth, my value, my strength, my intelligence and my sense of being

I trust the people I love to do what's right. That trust sometimes let people get away with a lot of things. At the end of the day, it was no longer about the other person. Really, it wasn't. They could be the 100% perfect person who did nothing wrong, or a complete jerk who deserved nothing but the worst. It didn't matter. It was really about how I chose to react and deal with it, what I allowed the breakup to take from me. Or how it could strengthen me.

Breakups suck. They'll always suck. And it is too bad they didn't fight for you. So fight for yourself. It's going to be a tough battle, but it'll be so worth it. 

Post a Comment

Copyright © All Things Cass
Design by Fearne